A handful of other buildings still remain in a state of complete neglect, and are threatened with demolition.
The French Renaissance style William Livingstone House (1894) on Eliot Street was one of Kahn's first commissions.
New condominiums have been built in the southern part of the district, near the Fisher Freeway, and a number of the older mansions have been restored.
Several other historic houses have been stabilized and "mothballed" by the City of Detroit between 20, on the occasion of the Super Bowl XL played at the nearby Ford Field.
The neighborhood's heyday didn't last long, however: by the early twentieth century most of is affluent residents started moving to more modern, quieter districts, and Brush Park was quickly populated by members of Detroit's fast-growing working class.
Severely affected by depopulation, blight and crime during the 1970s and 1980s, the neighborhood is currently experiencing restorations of its historic buildings and luring new residents.
This house (pictured left) was built in 1905 for Max Broock, a real estate and insurance broker whose offices were located in the Breitmeyer-Tobin Building.
Some have night-blooming grocery stores in their front yards. Starting in the 1960s, many of the buildings became unoccupied and fell into disrepair; however, the neighborhood maintained much of its historical integrity, and some attempts were made to preserve it.The neighborhood began to decline at the turn of the 20th century, when the advent of streetcars and then automobiles allowed prosperous citizens to live farther from downtown: early residents moved out, notably to up-and-coming districts such as Indian Village and Boston–Edison, and Brush Park became less fashionable.throughout the subdivision, homes were converted to apartments or rooming houses – often with the construction of two- and three-story rear additions – to accommodate workers of the booming automobile industry, as a result, Brush Park became home to a vibrant black community, together with the nearby Black Bottom–Paradise Valley area.Streets, named Woodward East Historic District, was designated a Michigan State Historic Site on September 17, 1974, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 21, 1975; gaining a poor reputation as one of Detroit's most derelict areas.Abandoned buildings became targets for vandals and arsonists: as a result, dozens of structures were demolished by the City for security reasons.The first serious redevelopment plan in Brush Park's history was the Woodward East Renaissance project, planned to be completed in 1976, America's bicentennial year.